WHO provides this timeline of the Organization’s COVID-19 response activities for general information. WHO will update the timeline on a regular basis and in light of evolving events and new information. Unless noted otherwise, country-specific information and data are as reported to WHO by its Member States.
This timeline supersedes the WHO Timeline statement published in April 2020. It is not intended to be exhaustive and does not contain details of every event or WHO activity.
As of 26 January 2021, the following milestones and events focused on COVID-19 have taken place:
- WHO Headquarters has held 134 media briefings. The Director-General’s opening remarks, transcripts, videos and audio recordings for these media briefings are available online.
- There have been 41 Member State Briefings and information sessions.
- WHO convenes international expert networks, covering topics such as clinical management, laboratory and virology, infection prevention and control, mathematical modelling, seroepidemiology, and research and development for diagnostics, therapeutics and vaccines, which have held frequent teleconferences, starting in early January 2020. These networks include thousands of scientists, medical and public health professionals from around the world.
- The OpenWHO platform has had more than 4.8 million total course enrolments, with 25 different COVID-19 courses available to support the COVID-19 response, spanning across 44 languages for COVID-19.
- The Strategic and Technical Advisory Group on Infectious Hazards (STAG-IH) has met 57 times. STAG-IH provides independent advice and analysis to the WHO Health Emergencies Programme on the infectious hazards that may pose a threat to global health security.
As of 26 January 2021, WHO’s landscape of COVID-19 candidate vaccines lists 63 candidate vaccines in clinical development and
In addition to the selected guidance included below, all of WHO’s technical guidance on COVID-19 can be found online here.
All events listed below are in the Geneva, Switzerland time zone (CET/CEST). Note that the dates listed for documents are based on when they were finalized and timestamped.